*mostly stolen from Wikipedia, because I am lame like that.
In 1989, The Disney Channel revived the show with a different format, which was very similar to other popular shows of the time like You Can't Do That on Television or Saturday Night Live. The show structure was originally developed by Walt Disney Television in the mid-1980s.
Scheduling and air times
The series aired Monday - Friday, 5:30PM ET during Seasons 1-5. In season 6, the show was on from Monday-Thursday at 5:30PM. In its final season it aired Thursdays only at 7:30PM. The show premiered Monday, April 24, 1989, ended production in 1994, and ran reruns until Thursday, May 31, 1996. The series was also syndicated to local television stations throughout the United States and Canada. Seasons 3, 5 and 7 had the most episodes. Seasons 4 and 6 were shorter, having about 35 episodes each.
The long version of the new show's title was The All New Mickey Mouse Club, but it was more commonly called MMC. Recorded before a studio audience at the Disney-MGM Studios, now Disney's Hollywood Studios in Lake Buena Vista, FL as it featured teens from all races. The show was a mix of live skits, recorded comedy and songs. The Mouseketeers did their own versions of popular songs live and in music videos. Emerald Cove was a recurring soap opera type segment starring Mouseketeers and several actors who exclusively appeared on these segments, that aired once a week for 10 minutes.
Five members of the show (Damon Pampolina, Tiffini Hale, Chase Hampton, Albert Fields and Deedee Magno) broke off and formed the musical group The Party, and released four full length albums: The Party; In The Meantime, In Between Time; Free; and The Party's Over...Thanks For Coming. They had a radio hit with the Dokken cover of "In My Dreams."
The show would be the starting point for several American pop superstars and actors. The fourth season introduced viewers to JC Chasez and Golden Globe winning television actress Keri Russell. The sixth season featured Grammy Award winning singers Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears; and Academy Award nominated actor Ryan Gosling. Jessica Simpson and Countess Vaughn were finalists but did not make it onto the show.
The only Mouseketeers who appeared each season from the first until its cancellation in 1994 were Lindsey Alley, Jennifer McGill and Josh Ackerman with Tiffini Hale and Chase Hampton back for the final season.
Full cast of 1990s Mouseketeers listed alphabetically:
* Josh Ackerman (1989-1996)
* Christina Aguilera (1993-1996)
* Lindsey Alley (1989-1995)
* Rhona Bennett (1992-1996)
* Nita Booth (1991-1996)
* Mylin Brooks (1991-1993)
* Brandy Brown (1989-1992)
* Jason Blain Carson (1991-1993)
* JC Chasez (1991-1995)
* Braden Danner (1989)
* Tasha Danner (1992-1993)
* Nikki DeLoach (1993-1995)
* T.J. Fantini (1994-1995)
* Albert Fields (1989-1992)
* Dale Godboldo (1992-1995)
* Ryan Gosling (1993-1996)
* Tiffini Hale (1989-1995)
* Chase Hampton (1989-1995)
* Raquel "Roqué" Herring (1989-1991)
* David Kater (1989)
* Tony Lucca (1992-1996)
* Ricky Luna (1991-1996)
* Tate Lynche (1994-1995)
* Deedee Magno (1989-1992)
* Jennifer McGill (1989-1996)
* Terra McNair (1991-1993)
* Ilana Miller (1991-1996)
* Jason Minor (1991-1993)
* Terri Misner (1992-1994) (Adult co-host)
* Matt Morris (1992-1996)
* Fred Newman (1989-1995) (Adult co-host)
* Kevin Osgood (1990-1993)
* Damon Pampolina (1989-1992)
* Mowava Pryor (1989-1992) (Adult co-host)
* Keri Russell (1992-1995)
* Britney Spears (1993-1996)
* Justin Timberlake (1993-1996)
* Marc Worden (1991-1996)
Here, watch the E! True Hollywood Story:
Justin and Britney singing "I Feel for You":
Justin, JC, Ryan (yes Gosling), and Dale singing "Cry for You":
JC and Tony sing "Now and Forever":
Emerald Cove was a soap opera of sorts featured on The All New Mickey Mouse Club (aka MMC). Starting during the 5th season of MMC, each episode was split into 3 segments and would be aired throughout the season. As the popularity of Emerald Cove rose, it became a regular fixture on The Mickey Mouse Club. During the 7th season, each episode of Emerald Cove was split into 4 segments and one segment was aired during each and every episode.
The show centered around cousins Jeff Chambers (played by Tony Lucca) and Will Jenkins (Marc Worden). Will has come to Emerald Cove from Canada for some reason (I think his parents were archaeologists or something). Also back in town for the summer is private school girl/rich bitch Andrea McKinsey (Keri Russell), with whom Jeff has an on/off relationship. Also living in Emerald Cove are Niki (Rhona Bennet), who is the lead singer in Jeff's band, and her boyfriend Bobby (Dale Godboldo). Andrea's best friend, Mac (Ilana Miller) tends to hang around a lot. Bobby and Jeff are good friends with Wipeout (JC Chasez), who is a surfer-poet. They all hang out at the Shack, a beach-side restaurant where Jeff and Niki's band plays on the weekends. The owner of the Shack is a douche.
Here, have some footage. Wipeout explains to Mac why he loves sand:
And embedding is disabled, but Jeff and Andrea discuss important matters. Tony Lucca and Keri Russell dated throughout MMC. Tony explains their romance through song:
So that was MMC. Smoking up and filming teen soap operas and smiling a lot and Being Perfect. Sounds familiar, right?
High School Musical
With a plot described by the author and numerous critics as a modern adaptation of Romeo & Juliet, High School Musical is a story about two high school juniors from rival cliques – Troy Bolton (Zac Efron), captain of the basketball team, and Gabriella Montez (Vanessa Hudgens), a beautiful and shy transfer student who excels in math and science. Together, they try out for the lead parts in their high school musical, and as a result, divide the school. Despite other students' attempts to thwart their dreams, Troy and Gabriella resist peer pressure and rivalry, inspiring others along the way not to "stick to the status quo".
* Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) is the male protagonist of the movie. He is the most popular male student at East High School, and the captain of the varsity basketball team. For this movie, Efron's singing was blended with singer Andrew Seeley's voice.
* Gabriella Montez (Vanessa Anne Hudgens) is the female protagonist of the movie.
* Sharpay Evans (Ashley Tisdale) is the antagonist of the film.
* Ryan Evans (Lucas Grabeel) is Sharpay's twin brother.
* Chad Danforth (Corbin Bleu) is Troy's best friend, and is very good friends with Jason and Zeke.
* Taylor McKessie (Monique Coleman) is Gabriella's best friend.She is captain of the school Scholastic Decathlon team.
* Jack Bolton (Bart Johnson) is Troy's father and the coach of the basketball team.
* Ms. Darbus (Alyson Reed) is the stern drama teacher at East High.
* Kelsi Nielsen (Olesya Rulin) is a student at East High. She is a pianist and composer.
* Zeke Baylor (Chris Warren Jr.) is friends with Troy and Chad, and plays for the basketball team. He also enjoys baking.
* Jason Cross (Ryne Sanborn) is friends with Troy and Chad, and plays for the basketball team. He also tends to ask silly questions in class.
For more information on the franchise, check out the extensive Wikipedia entry.
Hannah Montana is an Emmy Award-nominated American television series, which debuted on March 24, 2006 on Disney Channel. The series focuses on a girl who lives a double life as an average teenage school girl named Miley Stewart (played by Miley Cyrus) by day and a famous pop singer named Hannah Montana by night, concealing her real identity from the public, other than her close friends and family.
On April 9, 2008, it was announced that Hannah Montana would return for a third season in 2008 and production started on August 4, 2008. Season 3 premiered on November 2, 2008, and is still filming. Hannah Montana: The Movie was released in theaters on April 10, 2009.
* Miley Cyrus as Miley Stewart/Hannah Montana
* Emily Osment as Lilly Truscott/Lola
* Mitchel Musso as Oliver Oken/Mike Standley III
* Jason Earles as Jackson Stewart
* Billy Ray Cyrus as Robby Stewart
* Moises Arias as Rico (Season 2-) (Recurring Season 1)
* Shanica Knowles: Amber Addison
* Anna Maria Perez de Tagle: Ashley Dewitt
* Romi Dames: Traci Van Horn
* Hayley Chase: Joannie Palumbo
* Dolly Parton: Aunt Dolly
* Vicki Lawrence: Mamaw Ruthie Ray Stewart
* Frances Callier: Roxy
* Cody Linley: Jake Ryan
* Selena Gomez: Mikayla
* Morgan York: Sarah
* Noah Cyrus: Little Girl (this is only a small role, but it is used often)
* Erin Matthews: Karen Kunkle
* Paul Vogt: Albert Dontzig
* Lisa Arch: Liposuction Liza
* Andre Kinney: Cooper
* Teo Olivares: Max
* Andrew Caldwell: Thor
* Michael Kagan: Colin Lasetter
* Greg Baker: Mr. Corelli
The Jonas Brothers
The Jonas Brothers are an American pop-rock boy band. The band gained their popularity from the Disney Channel children's television network. Hailing from Wyckoff, New Jersey, the band consists of three brothers: Kevin Jonas, Joe Jonas, and Nick Jonas. In the summer of 2008, they starred in the Disney Channel Original Movie Camp Rock. They have released three albums: It's About Time (2006), Jonas Brothers (2007), and A Little Bit Longer (2008). The band's fourth studio album will be released June 15, 2009; tentatively titled Lines, Vines and Trying Times. In 2008, the group was nominated for the Best New Artist award at the 51st Grammy Awards and won the award for Breakthrough Artist at the American Music Awards.
And from here out, I will link you to fandom primers by people who know a lot more than Wikipedia ever could.
+JoBros Primer 1: Pics and Video
+Hey fandom, look this way!
+The Wiki in full
Other interesting things to note: the Jonas Brothers' manager is Johnny Wright, who also manages Justin Timberlake. Johnny used to manage NSYNC, the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, and New Kids on the Block. Johnny is kind of a pimp. He's also kind of an asshole, as seen in the NSYNC True Hollywood Story, when he blamed Lance for NSYNC breaking up. Yes, Lance and his big solo career is what ended them. (Not that I'm bitter or anything).
One of the JoBros' bodyguards, Big Rob, used to be an NSYNC bodyguard. I want to say he was also either Britney's or JC's bodyguard at one point. Guy gets around, anyway.
Felicia Culotta recently left the JoBros as PA to go back to her girl Britney Jean. Fe basically raised Britney from Baby One More Time... onward, only leaving after Britney had her own children and divorced K-Fed and went crazy. Now she's back for the Circus tour, keeping Bitsy in line. You can see a lot of her in Britney & Kevin: Chaotic, which was filmed during the European leg of her Onyx Hotel Tour. Also present: JC Chasez, who opened for Britney.
The connections in Mouseland run deep and are inescapable, yo.
The story follows Mitchie Torres, an aspiring young musician who is hoping to become a professional singer. Mitchie wants to go to a music camp named "Camp Rock". Since the family can't afford the tuition, Mitchie's mother arranges to cater food for the camp, thus allowing Mitchie to attend. Mitchie tries to conceal this from her friends at camp.
Spoiled brat/pop star Shane Gray has been assigned to be in charge of dance classes for one month at Camp Rock by his bandmates Jason and Nate. Shane hears Mitchie singing and falls in love with the voice, but does not know the identity of the singer. Shane spends much of the movie searching for the girl with the voice. Shane and Mitchie have various interactions, and, when Shane learns her identity, a romance between the two blossoms.
Characters and Cast
* Mitchie Torres (Demi Lovato) is a girl who hopes to be a singer some day. Her dream is to go to Camp Rock, but her family cannot afford the pricey camp. The only way she could go was if her mother would be the cook, and she tries to hide that fact in fear of rejection.
* Shane Gray (Joe Jonas) is the famous lead singer of the band "Connect 3". He is sent to Camp Rock, in hopes that it would help him, and get rid of his cocky and arrogant attitude. At the camp, he hears a terrific voice, and spends most of his time trying to find the girl who sang (who is really Mitchie.) Later, he meets Mitchie and they become friends.
* Tess Tyler (Meaghan Jette Martin) is the daughter of the famous T.J. Tyler, and one day wishes to be a singer, like her mother. She is a diva and often gets her way, even if she has to hurt people. She craves attention, mostly because her mom was often too busy with her own career to care for her.
* Caitlyn Gellar (Alyson Stoner) is Mitchie's best friend at camp, and is one of the few people who stick by her side when Tess reveals Mitchie's secret. She wants to be a music producer, and is often seen composing music on her laptop.
* Ella Pador (Anna Maria Perez de Taglé) is Tess' so-called friend and is a little air-headed. Ella abandons Tess when she pushes her too far and instead sings with Barron and Sander at Final Jam, revealing herself to be a good singer.
* Peggy "Margaret Dupree" Warburton (Jasmine Richards) is Tess' other "friend", and often follows Tess, even when her own opinion is different. In the end, she finally rebels, and sings on her own at Final Jam, winning the contest, and surprising everyone with her voice.
* Connie Torres (Maria Canals Barrera) is Mitchie's mom, and also runs a family catering service called "Connie's Catering." Mitchie was, at first, embarrassed that her mother was the Camp Cook.
* Barron (Jordan Francis) is a break-dancer, and is best friends with Sander. He also raps, and sings at Final Jam with Sander, and Ella. He is one of the few that stuck with Mitchie.
* Sander Loya (Roshon Fegan) is also a dancer, and likes to rap. His best friend is Barron, and the two sang at Final Jam with Ella. He was one of the few that stayed by Mitchie's side.
* Lola Scott (Aaryn Doyle) is a singer, and sometimes raps. She is great friends with Caitlyn, and she is a talented singer, although she was not seen performing at Final Jam. She stuck with Mitchie when her secret was revealed.
* Brown Cessario (Daniel Fathers) is Shane's uncle and also runs Camp Rock. He also said he was the guitarist of a band called the "Wet Crows."
* Nate (Nick Jonas) and Jason (Kevin Jonas) are members of "Connect 3".
Lizzie McGuire was a Disney Channel Original Series that aired on the Disney Channel from 2001 to 2004. Its target demographic was preteens and adolescents. The TV show was created by Terri Minsky. The show's creatively offbeat, mixed media format stood out from the rest of the Disney Channel's programming of the time and, in essence, became the channel's flagship and definitive show of the early 2000s. The show's producer Stan Rogow says the visual look of the show was partly inspired by Run Lola Run. Production was completed in 2002 after the show fulfilled its 65 episode order.
* Lizzie McGuire (Hilary Duff): Lizzie is the main character in the show. She is portrayed as a caring, rational and cooperative, although her animated alter-ego displays her true feelings from time to time. As the show progresses, she undergoes various "image" changes, including becoming rebellious, disrespectful and rude in the episode "Bad Girl Mcguire". Lizzie constantly gets into arguments with her younger brother Matt but is well-aware of what is right and wrong.
* Miranda Sanchez (Lalaine): Miranda is one of Lizzie's best friends; She, Lizzie, and Gordo form the main triumvirate. Miranda is the most self-conscious of the three as is evident in an episode in which she skips meals to get an "anorexic" look, but Lizzie and Gordo always see through her crisis. Her family is Hispanic, but she speaks very little Spanish. Miranda's middle name is revealed to be Isabella in one of the episodes. She did not appear in the last six episodes, nor in The Lizzie McGuire Movie; She was said to be on vacation with her family in Mexico or sick.
* Gordo (Adam Lamberg): Gordo is one of Lizzie's best friends and has been since they were two days old. He usually offers sarcasm and good advice. He is portrayed as being very intelligent and always got good grades. He was revealed to be Jewish, as shown in one episode where he had a Bar Mitzvah. In the episode "The Untitled Stan Jenson Project," it was revealed that Lizzie had a crush on him in the fourth grade. In The Lizzie McGuire Movie, Gordo was pulled into a lip-lock with Lizzie after she realized what a big mistake she has made. In the final episode, it was revealed that Gordo had a crush on Lizzie.
* Matt McGuire (Jake Thomas): Matt was Lizzie's younger brother. As a stock character, he was often destroying something. He had a best friend named Lanny, who did not speak on-screen. Matt was clever and wily and had a reputation for getting into trouble. Matt and Lizzie shared a typical brother-sister relationship. They fooled around, annoyed each other, but were always there for each other at the end of each episode. He was rather intelligent and creative and knew how to humor people.
* Jo McGuire (Hallie Todd): Jo was Lizzie and Matt's mother. She cared deeply about Lizzie but was still trying to figure out how to raise a teenager. As a result, she sometimes tended to "mess up" situations in Lizzie's life while trying to help make them better. At the end of each episode, Jo and Lizzie tend to come to an understanding and portray the unfaltering love of a mother-daughter relationship.
* Sam McGuire (Robert Carradine): Sam was Lizzie and Matt's father. He could be best described as a bit goofy and quite clueless about raising his kids. However, he always tried his best to help Lizzie out and understand her and was always available to lend a helping hand.
The series revolved around a group of children and teenagers who performed in their own rock group, Kids Incorporated. The band members struggled to deal with issues ranging from divorce to violence to schoolyard crushes while performing regularly at a local restaurant/theatre, The P*lace (called The Malt Shop in the pilot). It was originally named The Palace, but the "a" in the neon sign burned out. It was never explained how the KI group funded or profited from their performances, but the show did not aim for strict realism. The action took place on abstract, "stagey" sets and the plots involved many fantasy elements (such as the band meeting a singing robot).
The city in which the P*lace was located was never disclosed. However, according to frequent director Paul Hoen, the show was supposed to be set in Fort Greene, a section of Brooklyn, New York City. The school depicted on the Kids Incorporated set had signage reading P.S., and later, Public School 127. The P.S. designation is associated only with NYC schools.
Eric Balfour (1991)
Charlie Brady (1993)
Nicole Brown (1992-1993)
Dena Burton (1993)
Jared Delgin (1992)
Moosie Drier (1984-1988)
Stacy Ferguson (Fergie) (1984-1989)
Jason Douglas Schierloh (1989) Kenny Ford (1988-1992)
Anthony Harell (1993)
Jennifer Love Hewitt (1989-1991)
Anastasia Horne (1991-1993)
Haylie Johnson (1991-1993)
Ryan Lambert (1985-1988)
Connie Lew (1987-1988)
Marta Marrero (1984-1986)
Rahsaan Patterson (1984-1987)
Devyn Puett (1988-1989)
Renee Sands (1984-1987)
Jerry Sharell (1984)
Richard Shoff (1987-1989)
Wizards of Waverly Place
The show is about Alex Russo (Selena Gomez), her older brother Justin (David Henrie), and their younger brother Max (Jake T. Austin), and Alex's best friend Harper. The three live with their Italian-American father, Jerry, and their Mexican-American mother, Theresa. The children aren't allowed to use magic without supervision, and according to the premise, only one of the three will keep their magic abilities once they are adults, and this will be determined by a magic competition. Jerry (their father) once did this competition and won, but gave his powers up to marry their mortal mother (Theresa) as a wizard is not allowed to marry a mortal. Alex often gets into trouble by using magic unsupervised, and learns lessons and morals relating to friends, family, and school. But she still ends up getting into trouble again and again for the lessons that she supposedly already learned about the hard way. The show's theme song is called "Everything is Not What It Seems", which was written by John Adair and Steve Hampton, who also wrote the theme songs to fellow Disney Channel original series The Suite Life of Zack & Cody and Phil of the Future. The theme song, performed by Gomez, is a techno-pop style theme.
Sonny With A Chance
The series features a girl named Sonny Munroe (Demi Lovato) from Wisconsin, who moves with her mother to California to shoot a sketch comedy So Random!. The series follows Sonny, her family and new friends in Hollywood and at the studio as Sonny will do her best to make new friends with the cast of the show, who all seem to like Sonny except for Tawni (Tiffany Thornton), because she does not want to share the spotlight with her. The show also revolves around So Random!'s feud with MacKenzie Falls, a popular teen drama show which stars Chad Dylan Cooper (Sterling Knight).
* Allison "Sonny" Munroe (Demi Lovato) is the newest cast member and a main character of So Random!. She was discovered on the internet. She is nice, caring and often a little goofy, and can be naive at times. She is from Middleton, Wisconsin. Sonny is friends with Nico, Grady, and Zora. She sometimes gets along with Tawni, although at other times she does not. She has a love/hate relationship with Chad but in the later episodes she gets to know him more and develops a crush on him.
* Tawni Hart (Tiffany Thornton) is a very spoiled and snobby cast member of So Random! and can possibly be Sonny's new best friend. She dislikes Sonny at first because she doesn't want to share her spotlight, but later accepts her.
* Chad Dylan Cooper (Sterling Knight) is a teen heartthrob and the primary antagonist of the show, he stars as MacKenzie in MacKenzie Falls a television drama and a rival show of So Random!, which he often refers to as "Chuckle City." He is a rival to all the cast members of So Random! He has a love/hate relationship with Sonny, but after Sonny and Chad get to know each other, he develops a crush on her. He even says that Sonny and everything she does is cute. He usually wears the MacKenzie Falls cast uniform, but outside of the studio he dresses casual.
* Nico Harris (Brandon Mychal Smith) is a cast member of So Random! and is best friends with Grady. He is side-tracked by girls easily and is very smooth. He is usually seen with a hat on that matches his outfit.
* Grady Mitchell (Doug Brochu) is a cast member of So Random! and best friends with Nico. He always plays the "thing that comes out of Nico" in the So Random! sketches.
* Zora Lancaster (Allisyn Ashley Arm) is the youngest cast member of So Random!. She has a very weird and quirky personality, and always seems to be up to a suspicious scheme or project. She is also the smartest member of the cast.
Please feel free to give me more information or links to other, better primers.